Monday 25 August 2014

Festival of Quilts 2014 Continued

As usual, I had a fantastic time at The Festival of Quilts.  I took the trip with my sister Claire, my friend Anne and my daughter Catherine who is living in Manchester, came down for the three days.  I met lots of friends, enjoyed the craic and wouldn't have missed it for the world.  So here we go.
 
The first quilt I would like to share was from an exhibition called Crossroads - A Middle Eastern Festival.  The design, the colours, the applique and the pebble quilting in the background which was done in such a way as to create a trellis for the flowers to almost climb up. I loved it all.


Arab Spring
Nora Al Shafi
Arab Spring
  The next quilt won 3rd Prize in the Traditional Quilts category and was made by Gwenfai Rees Griffiths.  A beautifully designed quilt with amazing hand quilting.


Cappuccino
Gwenfai Rees Griffiths
Cappuccino
I must however apologise for the colour of this quilt, the photograph doesn't do it justice.  This year more than previous years, I found that it was hard to photograph some of the quilts with the lighting in the hall.

This next quilt hung right beside the previous one.

Kutch Diamonds
Annelize Littlefair

This quilt was Highly Commended and it wasn't hard to see why. It was longarm quilted freehand and embellished with crystals. 


This next quilt was the winner of the Traditional Quilts category and was designed and made by Philippa Naylor. 
The Good Life
Philippa Naylor
Exquisite workmanship and attention to detail both with her applique and the free motion quilting.  As usual, it is incredible to see her quilts first hand and be able to see the detail.
 
 
 
Beach Huts
Tanglewood Textiles
This fun quilt was the winner of the Group Quilts category.


The detail was amazing.


Everyone huddled around it was smiling.



My friend Bridgeen Gillespie designed the fabrics and pattern for this next quilt.  It represented Derry-Londonderry as the inaugural UK City of Culture 2013.  A lot of the ladies in my classes got involved in piecing the blocks for the quilt.
 
Derry-Londonderry Heritage Quilt
Bridgeen Gillespie
Again, I must apologise in advance for the photography of this quilt.  I use a small point and shoot camera so didn't know how to cope with the lighting.
But in saying that, the quilt was amazing.
 
Sunshine and Flowers
Sandy Chandler
The judges gave this one a Highly Commended and you can see why with the hand guided longarm quilting.
 
 
 
 
 
I hope you enjoyed that small selection of quilts.
 
Bye for now.
 
Sandra
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment