I have been working very hard this week trying to quilt on my Gracie Frame. It's difficult trying to decide what designs to use and as my applique quilt is only the sixth one that I have put on the frame, it was a steep learning curve. I decided that the worst thing that could happen was that I would have to unpick some stitches so I jumped right in.
I quilted in the ditch around the border using a ruler to stabilise the quilt. I also wanted to quilt around the applique pieces for the same reason. It was sooo difficult! But although I was very disheartened at the beginning, I realised that if I didn't try, then I wouldn't learn how to do it. As a result, I did get better at it as I rolled the quilt.
I used a purple air erasable marker to mark out the lines on the cream fabric of the flying geese on the top and bottom border. But by the time I got around to doing the two sides, I only marked the place that I wanted the teardrop shape. The marker didn't show up well on the green fabric so I just winged it. As a result, they aren't always centred properly but I don't mind.
Accepting the fact that the quilting space available is quite narrow vertically is just something that I came to terms with. From side to side it is great and very flowing compared to working with my ordinary machine. But because I was working around my applique pieces I had a lot of stops and starts. I got used to this quite quickly though. The only thing was that my hands actually got sore from working the clamps so much.
I am pleased with the result and I learned an awful lot of things. Now I just have to bind and label my quilt.
It's getting quite late now so I'll have to go.
Bye for now.