Friday 1 June 2012

Quilting, Quilting and More Quilting!

Last week I made a big effort to quilt some of the things that I have made recently. 

Firstly, I finished another calico practice piece that I have had on the frame for ages.  I enjoy the freedom of working on the calico as I can try out things that I have drawn in my sketch book.





I then quilted my Hidden Stars quilt with a spiral design.


This quilt was made from a Layer Cake called Etchings by 3 Sisters for Moda.  Absolutely beautiful fabric to work with and gorgeous designs.  I loved the greys in this collection. 




Next, I quilted one that I had made for my youngest son quite a while ago.  It's made from fabric that I bought in The City Quilter, which by the way is an amazing shop.  They designed the Times Square and Subway fabrics themselves. 





I quilted the centre with alternating parallel lines, a ribbon effect in the red border and I stippled the outer border.  It was a learning process for me as I got fed up having to stop and start the different designs every time that I had to roll the quilt on my frame.  So I then quilted all of the centre in one go.  I then rolled it back up and quilted the narrow border down one side across the bottom and up the other side.  Then finally I quilted the outer border in the same fashion.

This little quilt makes me very nostalgic for my trip to New York.  Maybe I'll be able to go back some day. 

Outside Grand Central Station
This reminds me of going to work in Grand Central every morning to demonstrate quilting at a Tourism Ireland Exhibition.

I'm really enjoying the new things that I'm learning on my Gracie Frame.  Now all I have to do is make and sew the bindings on the quilts. 

Bye for now.
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment