Monday 18 June 2012

The International Quilt Festival of Ireland

I'm afraid this post is going to be quite a long one but I hope you'll enjoy it.  Last week I travelled to the first International Quilt Festival of Ireland in Galway with my friend Mary and lots of other quilters with the Foyle Women's Information Network.  We all had a fantastic time.

All the ladies from our trip
On the day we arrived the weather wasn't great but we got a good look around to find our bearings.  That evening we all went to Bunratty Castle for a Medieval Banquet and had a wonderful time.  It was great fun, the food was lovely and the entertainment was fantastic.

Bunratty Castle
This young lady greeted us at the door and later did some wonderful singing.
The singers and players
The following day, the weather was bright and sunny and the university grounds where the festival was held were lovely. 

One of the biggest things for me at the Festival was attending a lecture given by Ricky Tims about machine quilting.  It was lovely to meet him after watching him on The Quilt Show for so long.  He was a complete gentleman, very generous with his knowledge and tips.  He was also very entertaining, and it was also lovely to see his quilt 'in the flesh', so to speak, as well.

Ricky Tims

Bohemian Rhapsody by Ricky Tims
Amazing quilted feathers

 I also met the lovely Pam Holland while at the show.  Her quilt Drysdales' Dame was great. 

Drysdales' Dame by Pam Holland
It was in the section called Patchwork Promises.  The quilt was made as part of a Round Robin in the artist's home country and then returned to the original artist for quilting.  The promise part involves donating the quilt to charity after having displayed it in its home country.


Another quilt that I liked from this section was one by Terri McNeil.

Emigrant Reflections of Home by Terri McNeil
Add caption
Close up of pieced border and quilting
I absolutely love at batiks and I love to free-motion quilt, so this was one of my favourite quilts of the show.

Mary and I taking a break

I spoke of the lovely grounds in the university earlier. Well here is The Quad.






This is my favourite Miniature quilt from the show.  A beautiful log cabin.  I have no idea how anyone sews strips this tiny. Amazing!
Home at Last by Carolyn L Koler
Amherst, Ohio
Chocolate Decadence was the name of one of the other exhibitions and this was my favourite here.
Chocolatte by Birgit Schuller
Riegelsberg, Germany

 I just loved the quilting on this piece.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to add my other photos on another night as it's getting late here.

Bye for now.
Sandra




No comments:

Post a Comment