Monday 11 July 2011

Old Sewing Machines

A few months ago, my husband surprised me with an old Vesta treadle sewing machine.  Although it was very dirty and the table was riddled with woodworm, all I could think of was how beautiful it was.  It had to stay in the garage until I found a carpenter who would replace the wood for me.  I am looking forward to collecting it and being able to begin the task of cleaning the sewing machine itself.

My beautiful Vesta

(That's a motorbike mudguard in the background, in case you're wondering.)  The only pity is that the sewing machine will no longer be able to sink into the cabinet but I will be able to bring it into the house for the first time which will be fantastic.

The story doesn't end there though. A few weeks ago, I was again surprised with the gift of a Singer hand cranked machine.  It is amazing.  At the moment I have only given it a general clean but I do intend to spend a lot of time removing the dirt from it.


This machine still has it's wooden cover and just the tool box lid is missing.  The needle wouldn't move, even though the wheel turned.  So Alan took it apart, turned something around, and it now works beautifully.

My final surprise was this morning when Alan came back with another hand cranked singer machine. Get this.  He bought it for the princely sum of £2.  Isn't that unbelievable! 


Most of the grime just wiped off.  There were four tiny bobbins in the tool box. Last week, I watched a video on You Tube, of how to wind the bobbins for this type of machine, so I'll enjoy trying that later. 

I will post more photos when the machines are hopefully transformed and I have to thank Alan again for getting them for me.  It's very late so I'll have to go. 

Bye for now.
Sandra

  

No comments:

Post a Comment